CITY DOG, COUNTRY DOG TEACHER TIPS
1. Making connections
- Have students read different versions of Aesop's fable, Town Mouse, Country Mouse and see how they relate to this book.
- how does the Country Mouse in this book help set the stage?
- what else does the Country Mouse do throughout this book?
2. Compare and Contrast
- Have students compare life in the city with life in the country
- Have them write their own comparisons like: City Policeman, Country Policeman
3. Artist Study
- Have students do an artist study of Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec and Vincent van Gogh--start with reading the last page of this book
- Find all of the art in this book done by these 2 artists
4. Appreciating Differences
- Have students compare the differences of the 2 artist dogs who are best friends
- how are they (the students different from their friends?
- How to the dogs resolve their differences?
5. Learn a little French!
- Point out the French words that are on each page. Study their meanings Practice saying the words by using the pronunciation guide,
6. Letter Writing
- Study the postcards that Vincent and Henry send to each other
- Have students write a postcard to a friend or relative telling what they like best about where they live