Conventions and Conferences
Susan has spoken at numerous local, state, national, and international conferences. She has given keynote addresses, luncheon speeches, and workshop/breakout sessions.
SAMPLE KEYNOTE/LUNCHEON SPEECH
Title: Which Came First, the Pictures or the Words?
Susan Stevens Crummel tells ALL about how she and her sister Janet Stevens create award winning picture books such as Help Me, Mr. Mutt!, The Great Fuzz Frenzy, Cook-a-Doodle-Doo!, And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon, Jackalope and more.
This "general talk" focuses on:
- growing up (include Squirrel Sisters entire animated part)
- Janet becoming an illustrator, Susan becoming a teacher then author
- how they work together, how they get ideas and other "behind the scenes" tidbits about each book
SAMPLE WORKSHOP/BREAKOUT SESSION 1
Title: Laugh and Learn Using Picture Books in the Classroom!
Dynamic speaker Susan Stevens Crummel shows how to use picture books in the classroom with lots of teacher tips, activities, and projects. She will share ideas on how to use her picture books to teach:
- point of view
- language usage—onomatopoeia, alliteration, idioms, etc.
- recognizing patterns
- interpret, explore, and construct simple graphs
- compare and contrast
- making connections
- looking for detail
- measurement: time, temperature, volume, length
- sequential thinking
- identifying the main idea
- using simple directions
- animal habitats, behavior, predators, etc.
- and many more!
Susan will also give the inside scoop on how she and her sister, illustrator Janet Stevens, work together to create award-winning picture books!
Susan can do 2 different 60 -90-minute sessions—a PART 1 and PART 2 of the above, covering new material in each.
SAMPLE WORKSHOP/BREAKOUT SESSION 2
Title: Getting Kids to Read
Susan Stevens Crummel shares fun and effective ways to get kids reading!
- Make it fun
- Involve parents!
- Have an author visit or virtual author visit!
SUPPLIES NEEDED for all keynotes/workshops/breakout sessions
- LOW AV cart (cart only) w/ 3 plug-ins + ext. cord
- large screen (to show my power point)
- 2 display tables (3’ x 6’ at least)
- LOUD lapel/ ear cordless microphone
- water to drink
- a copy of each book to display
I have decided NOT to raise my honorarium for the upcoming school year. It will remain for June 2018 through May 2019. Costs for conferences and conventions are $1200 plus expenses (transportation, lodging, meals) for up to 2 sessions.