MY BIG DOG TEACHER TIPS
1. Point of View and Voice
- Have students read the first sentence using different voices for Merl
- Have students re-tell a familiar story from the point of one of the main characters
2. Accepting Differences
- Have students discuss why Merl doesn't like Violet at first
- Why does Merl accept Violet at the end?
- Many students have a new sibling who suddenly enters their world. Have them discuss how they felt when the new baby arrived.
3. Looking for detail
- List the ways that the people are different the animals in this book
- Who do you think the people are?
- Make a list of all the words that illustrate onomatopoeia
- Read the book letting the students fill in these words either by verbalizing the noise or physically making the noise